Local Businesses: Use Text Message Marketing to Drive More Sales
Increasingly, companies are seeing text message marketing as the next frontier in the quest to drive sales, boost engagement, and increase loyalty.
Text message marketing, for the uninitiated, is where marketers send coupons, special deals, current events, and other information to customers automatically through text messages, explains Business.com. Messages can be standard text, multimedia, or in the form of a poll or survey.
While both consumers and lawmakers are wary of text message marketing verging on spam, “a well thought-out, opt-in advertising campaign delivered by text to people’s smartphones can be a highly effective marketing tool—a much better one than email,” reports Inc.
How and Why Text Message Marketing Works
The process is straightforward: consumers opt-in to messaging either via their phones—by texting a keyword to a short code number—or through a mobile or traditional website. Their number then goes on to a database.
So why use text as part of your small business marketing plan? As Inc. explains, “promotional text messages have a 95 to 97 percent open rate. Email open rates are currently hovering around 28 percent. That alone seems a good reason to give text marketing a serious look.”
The industry stats are convincing. Some 90 percent of text messages are read within three minutes of being sent, and 98 percent are read by the end of the day. More than 41 million mobile users have already opted into a text messaging program, and almost 80 percent of consumers say they will read a text message from a company they know. Best of all? More than one-quarter of all consumers say they have purchased goods or services as a direct result of receiving a text.
Text Message Marketing Tips
Since almost everyone texts, engaging in text message marketing is easy, right? No, the experts say. The medium holds great promise and opportunity, but doing it right takes research, creativity, and a correct reading of your audience.
Here are some tips from the pros:
- Get permission: This is huge—it will keep you legal and in the customer’s good graces. “As with email marketing, it’s important to get explicit permission from consumers before sending them text messages,” reports Business News Daily. “Not only will you be sending messages to an audience that wants this type of marketing, but you’ll avoid irritating those who don’t.” To that end, include opt-out instructions, too.
- Keep it brief: Your message should be on-point and to the point, notes Entrepreneur. “There’s no room for fluff in mobile marketing,” the magazine says. “Know who your target audience is and speak directly to it. Leave out extraneous details and simply describe how to take advantage of your offer and its benefits.”
- Think multimedia: Even old phones can receive multimedia messages, adds Inc. Use images or short videos to express your brand, combine utility with value, and keep customers entertained and engaged.
- Remember the basics: This medium can be exciting, but don’t go overboard with hype, slang, or abbreviations no one but you understands, says Entrepreneur. Further, make sure it’s clear to the receiver who has sent them this great message and how they can follow up—and no, just presenting receivers with the phone number does not count!
- Provide value: “No value—no conversion,” states Business2Community. “You have to offer something valuable to your customer, be it a discount, a freebee, or an opportunity to win a prize.”
- Focus on the call to action: Get the recipient’s attention and create a sense of urgency with a great call to action, adds Business2Community. Time-tested phrases include “limited time offer,” “last chance,” and “don’t miss out.”
Ready to Get Started?
Are you ready to launch a successful, exciting text message marketing campaign for your business? LocalText is here to help. Our team of professionals knows this market inside and out, and we can help you craft a winning text message marketing campaign which can drive sales, build excitement, and boost your sales campaign.
If you are interested in beginning cost-effective, high-return advertising, learn more about LocalText’s proven solutions. Contact us here for a free consultation and to build a custom marketing plan that works for your business.